If you are bitten by a spider, NIOSH recommends taking the following steps:
- Do not panic. If the spider is still nearby, do your best to identify it.
- Wash the bite area with soap and water.
- Use an ice pack or cool, damp cloth to help reduce swelling. Keep the bite area elevated.
- Never try to remove venom.
- Contact your supervisor.
- Seek professional medical help.
To help prevent spider bites:
- Give your work clothes, shoes and equipment a thorough shake before use.
- If working near undisturbed piles of material outdoors – where spiders are known to reside – wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants, as well as gloves and boots.
- Remove piles of debris from outdoor jobsites, and trim tall grasses.
- Keep outdoor clothing and equipment tightly sealed in plastic bags.
- Stay up to date with your tetanus boosters; spider bites can become infected with tetanus spores.
Sourced from the National Safety Council