Your jewelry is part of you, so leaving it behind may not be an option. Whether you’re a jet-setter or weekend road-tripper, here are some helpful safety tips when traveling.
- Choose wisely. Pack light and take only the jewelry you’ll wear while traveling and at your destination. The 4-carat diamond ring you save for special occasions? Probably not. The pearls that go with everything? Definitely.
- Make a list. List all the jewelry you’ll take with you. Make two copies. Take one copy with you and store it separately from your jewelry. Leave the other copy at home. Also helpful: take pictures or a video of your jewelry.
- Carry it on. Never put jewelry in checked baggage. Instead, wear it or stow it in your carry-on bag. If you wear it, take extra care by slipping a pendant inside a sweater or turning your ring so only the band shows.
- Keep it with you. Put your jewelry in a favorite bag you’ll carry while traveling. Don’t leave your jewelry in an unattended car or suitcase. When checking into your hotel or condo, don’t hand your jewelry bag to hotel staff. Carry it personally.
- Use the safe. Always store jewelry in the in-room safe when you’re not wearing it.
Insure it. Get the right jewelry insurance to protect against loss, damage, theft and mysterious disappearance wherever your travels take you, worldwide. Then relax, be yourself and have fun.
Please contact your Lutgert Insurance agent for more information.