Mistake #1: Putting butter or ice on burns. Do this instead: You should rinse the area with cool water and cover with a sterile dressing so you don’t damage the skin tissue. If the burn is severe, see a doctor. Mistake #2: Inducing vomiting with your finger or by taking “syrup of ipecac” when a poisonous substance is swallowed. Do this instead: Call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 or your doctor. Inducing vomiting can be even more harmful. Don’t eat or drink anything unless directed by a medical professional. Mistake #3: Applying heat to a sprain, strain, or fracture. Do this instead: Put an ice bag on the injury for 20 minutes to reduce swelling, and use a barrier between the ice and skin.