According to the US Fire Administration, home electrical problems cause more than 26,000 fires a year, half of which involve electrical wiring.
Call an electrician if you have any of the following:
Problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers.
- Discolored, cracked, or warm wall outlets or switches (if you see sparks, make the call as soon as possible).
- A burning smell or rubbery odor from an appliance.
- Flickering lights.
Take these precautions:
- Make sure your smoke detectors are working properly.
- Replace old or damaged appliance cords immediately.
- If buying a used appliance, ask if it has been tested for safety.